East English Village is a neighborhood in Detroit, Michigan. Harper Avenue bounds the East side of Detroit on the north, East Outer Drive on the west, Mack Avenue on the south, and Cadieux Road on the east. It was first developed in 1913 though most homes were built in the early 1930s through 1950.
In the 1800s, five ‘ribbon farms’ extended from Harper to the Detroit River. In 1805, the territory of Michigan was created, with Detroit as the capital. Between 1808 and 1810, five ribbon farms were registered under the Little, Rivard, Fournier, and Tremble family names. These five farms were later subdivided into the area we now know as East English Village. In 1818, the farms became part of the new Hamtramck Township, and in 1848 the area was renamed Grosse Pointe Township. By the turn of the 20th century, the city boundaries of Detroit, MI, began to expand, and the area was transformed into an attractive residential community.
First subdivisions: from Grosse Pointe Manor to Scully’s Voigt farmlands. The first subdivision, once part of Moran Farms, was named Grosse Pointe Manor and was developed in 1913. This subdivision ran along Audubon, Whittier, and Kensington streets between Mack and East Warren. Grosse Pointe Villa, another subdivision, was developed around 1915 and included the east side of Poupard (now called Yorkshire) from Mack to East Warren. Between 1926 and 1930, Yorkshire was developed between East Warren and Harper as Poupard Woodlands. Simultaneously, Bishop, between Mack and East Warren, was being developed as Poupard Estates. In 1924, the Eastern Heights Land Company began to develop land along both sides of Kensington between East Warren and Harper. Also, in 1924, The Charles Dunn Trust, Paul Dionne, and the Voigt family developed the Scully’s Voigt farmlands on Harvard and Cadieux between Mack and Harper. Construction began to take off in 1928. By 1925, most of the area had been subdivided into residential parcels. The actual construction of the homes did not begin to boom until 1928, with much of the building taking place in the early 1930s. The owners, not the developers, hired builders; this turned the new homeowners into designers and enabled them to custom order their homes. This accounts for the unique characteristics of each home.
The East English Village Association is the community association. This is a very active association, and most residents are heavily involved with the community. Meetings are held monthly, and the community focuses on ways to maintain and improve the neighborhood. Monthly newsletters, a very active Facebook page, and a neighborhood forum are passed out to keep everyone’s dialog open and informed. The community has set up a donation fund for private security, private street plowing for heavy snow, best garden and decoration contests, and community clean-up efforts. M&H Pest Control Detroit
Check out other neighborhoods like Eastern Market